Thursday 16 October 2014

Great Uncle George

In 2012 I asked my Mum (June) if she would start putting together a bit of a family history - sadly because of ill health she didn't get too far - but she did write the piece below about 'Great Uncle George'. George West was Aunt Ruth's Uncle. His sister, Miriam was Aunt Ruth's Mother.

This is what June wrote. 

'George West c 1880 – 1960
He was my grandmother’s (Miriam Hopkins) only brother. Anne and George West produced just the two of them. He was married to Aunt Kit – rather a nagging , miserable type I gathered - and had two daughters, Norah and Kathleen. I have no memories of Norah ( I gathered she took after her mother) but can remember Kathleen. She was lying on a chaise longue with a rug over her and was thin, fatigued looking but pretty. She was an ‘invalid’. I never discovered what was wrong with her and don’t remember being curious. Odd for such a nosy person as myself but people weren’t so ‘open’ then and didn’t seem to think children should be.
The four of them lived in a pretty flint cottage in Louches Lane at the top of the steep hill leading up to Naphill from Hughenden. Uncle Neil and Auntie Joan* lived in a brick built cottage opposite them.
I never knew what exactly Uncle George did but I think it was connected with wood in some way. His appearances in my childhood were somewhat odd. When I was staying with my grandmother he would appear in the early evening, stay to supper and then stay the night in a bed that appeared to be kept  made up for him. His relationship with his sister, Min as he called her, was not exactly congenial. They were always arguing and she was always moaning about him. I enjoyed his frequent and random visits as he taught me how to play draughts and was always willing to play with me. Was he escaping from Aunt Kit?
He was a very dapper man – usually white shirts, navy blue suit, well-polished shoes. He wasn’t very tall but sported a firmly tipped, well-trimmed moustache. One morning I was fascinated to hear, ‘Min, Min have you seen my moustache wax?’. So that’s how he kept the ends so sharp.
We moved to Beaconsfield, I was busy at school and later work and he faded out of my life.  Aunt Kit died, Norah got married and had children, Kathleen died and he eventually died, after my grandmother, I think. And the pretty flint cottage with its garden full of fruit trees was sold.'

FYI This document was on her laptop - She didn't send it to me. I think she hoped she would be able to write more - but ill health took its toll. June was a journalist - and this 'article' is something only she could have written - it is funny, irreverent and gives us a short insight into her perceptions about 'Great Uncle George'.
*Uncle Neil was Ruth's youngest brother and he was married to 'Aunt Joan' 

No comments:

Post a Comment